- CelebrityThe Telegraph
She is said to be the Queen’s favourite daughter-in-law, and now the monarch is set to turn to the Countess of Wessex to fill the gap left by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in carrying out royal duties. The 56-year-old Countess was one of the most prominent members of the Royal family in the days following the Duke of Edinburgh’s death. She made the first public comments about his passing, repeatedly visited Windsor Castle and provided a photograph of the Queen and the Duke at Balmoral that Her Majesty chose to share with the world as a tribute to her late husband. The departure of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex from the UK, and the effective retirement of the Duke of York, has left a major hole in the roster of Royal family members available to carry out public duties, and the Countess has been groomed to step out of the shadows in the year since “Megxit”. Her husband, the Earl of Wessex, 57, is also expected to increase his public profile as he prepares to take on the title Duke of Edinburgh when the Prince of Wales - who automatically inherited the title from his father - becomes king.
It’s been her permanent residence since she was coronated in 1953
They haven't been seen together since Prince Harry's interview with Oprah
- NewsAFP News
An eight-year-old girl was rescued in Switzerland on Sunday, five days after being kidnapped from her grandmother's French home in a "military" style operation with the alleged involvement of her mother.
- SportThe Telegraph
Europe’s richest football clubs were on Sunday night threatened with expulsion from their domestic leagues and warned that their players would be barred from the World Cup after they unveiled plans for a new €10 billion breakaway Super League. The so-called ‘big six’ in England, comprising Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, formally confirmed that they have joined with six leading clubs in Spain and Italy over a new highly selective and largely closed tournament that would effectively replace the Champions League. Jason Burt: This is a declaration of war — 'big six' should be ashamed The move, which represents a seismic challenge to the Premier League, the Football Association and Uefa, paves the way for the biggest shake-up of club football in a generation. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus and Inter Milan are also committed to joining the new Super League but leading clubs in Germany and France, including Bayern Munich and Paris St-Germain, have not so far signed up. A further three ‘founding clubs’ are being sought to take the total to 15, with another five able to qualify annually for the planned 20-team annual tournament. The proposals sparked a furious backlash, including: Prime Minister Boris Johnson urging the football authorities to take action over the “very damaging plans”. The Premier League writing directly to its 20 clubs to urge them to walk away “before irreparable damage is done”. The Football Association and Uefa warning that it would not sanction a breakaway, meaning that players and clubs could no longer compete in other official competitions. Retired players, led by Gary Neville, called out the “imposter” owners of their former clubs and advocated points deductions. Fan groups lined up in opposition to a plan that they said were motivated by “cynical greed”. JP Morgan are understood to be underwriting funding for the project, which will immediately provide founding clubs with €3.5 billion to support their infrastructure investment plans and offset the impact of the Covid pandemic. The league will be owned by the 15 founding clubs, who will put in an initial €2m and potentially a further €8m. If proposed European super league is such a great idea why are its advocates so secretive? The first chairman will be Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and Joel Glazer at Manchester United is a vice chairman. The other two American owners of English football’s most successful clubs — John W Henry at Liverpool and Stan Kroenke at Arsenal — are also expected to be confirmed as vice chairmen. "By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid," said Joel Glazer, co-owner of Manchester United and vice chairman of the Super League. Mr Perez said: "We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires."
A pilot escaped serious injury after making a World War II-era airplane land safely close to shore on Satellite Beach, Florida, during the Cocoa Beach Air Show on April 17, according to the organizer.The plane went down due to a “mechanical issue” and rescue personnel was immediately on the scene, a post by the air show’s Facebook page said.Nickolas Hawley was viewing the air show on the beach with his family when he captured the moment the plane flies over swimmers’ heads before splashing into the water.“Holy s***, dude. I’m so glad no one got hit,” Hawley said in the video.Hawley told Storyful about a thousand visitors were on the beach when the plane went down. Credit: Nickolas Hawley via Storyful
- CelebrityThe Independent
Monarch signed letter with duke’s pet name for her